Welcome to our Wyoming blog. On this blog I have been sharing how we came to move here and the 'adventure' we have been on every since. We started with a hillside, and today (6 years later) are finally putting in some landscaping. We are by no means done. I hope you will come along on our adventure.

I also have 2 other blogs. Big Horn Mountain Creations show cases my quilting and other artistic adventures. Decorating my Tin Shack, is about creating a home thru decorating. Both are on the side bar, I hope you will stop by.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wildflowers

What a pretty day we are having today. I was out walking about the property and came up some wildflowers in bloom, so headed back to the house for the camera.....batteries low..so put them on the charge and got some none rechargeable out, who knows when I will get the pictures taken if not now. So I thought I would share them with you.















This orange one is called a Scarlet Globemallow (Sphaeralcea coccinea) the Mallow family
(Malvaceae) also includes Mountain Hollyhocks, White checkermallow and Purple checkermallow that grow in Wyoming. I had the Scarlet Globemallow in my yard in Southern California also, I called it a bee catcher because the bees or flies would get caught in its flowers, that is ok with me on the fly issue.
















This one is a sunflower but I could not ID it, pretty little plant about 12 inches high with its leaves in a basil arrangement.

















These are what caught my eye and sent me for the camera, they are all over our hill some in a bright yellow, some a softer yellow leaning toward apricot (here) and then one that was an apricot color. Most of you know that this is a Plains Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia polyacantha) now I did not know it was a Plains PPC so I learned something today, I only knew them as PPC.

I also did a bit of work in the hillside garden adding some pots, and rearranging things a bit. We need to go to town this week so I hope to find a few more flowers to add. Kirk also got a little fence for me to help keep the dogs from using the garden as a pathway.

I hope you enjoyed the wildflowers, I will add more as I see them....I missed the Indian Paintbrush, our state flower, because I did not have my camera with me.....sigh.

Until later, God Bless

2 comments:

WIPPYSPLACE said...

WOW--I had no idea you had cacti up there! imagine that > I might have to get rid of it! hehehehe...my wildflowers are all gone now--you can water every day and at times it still isnt enough..enjoy!! *~*CAROLE*~*

Susan said...

How pretty they all are! That PP has the prettiest, softest color.